Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Familiarity of the Unknown

As I write this, I have Saul Williams yelling, rather, speaking passionately in my ear. Through headphones, as I'm not fortunate enough to be on personal speaking terms with the poet, rapper, author, Renaissance man. I first discovered Williams' music right in the middle of the first decade of the twenty-first century. He was opening for Nine Inch Nails on their spring tour, which happened to race right through my town and university, close enough where I was able to walk to the venue from my dorm room. Hip hop was not my preferred genre of music to put on, but as I listened to Williams' lyrics and beats and genuine music behind his words, I identified with him. Of course, we have completely different upbringings, coming from entirely different American worlds. But our passions were similar, and I appreciated the methods and style in which he projected his point of view and thoughts. That's what lies at the heart of why anyone likes any type of music: they are able to identify with it in some way that makes the artist or the song personal. I found that in Saul Williams.

Knowing what is important to you and fighting for what you believe is right has always been a noble quality in a person. Williams embodies this. He fights through his music, the same way so many musicians did in the era surrounding the conflict in Vietnam. In a world where so much is taken for granted, where so much is kept from those in need, where greed is considered a positive quality, his voice may be of the minority. At least, that's what those at the top want people to think.

I used to think that I was in the majority, that most people truly wanted a different world than the one we live in. That they want a better world. I may have just surrounded myself with people who share this viewpoint, and life circumstances brought me to a separate, more cynical collection of individuals. I have become more cynical, less hopeful, more worried about the future we are inheriting and inhabiting. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe that's the natural progression. Maybe that is the conundrum that Saul Williams found himself in, when he started getting serious about his writing and performing. If so, then I should be happy.

I should be happy because I envy Williams' ability to corral his anger and passion and excitement and fear and express those emotions and hopes in a positive manner. A productive manner. One that inspires people and attacks those who do wrong. I want to be a positive force in the world. I don't want to waste away performing others' minutiae and dirty work. I want to own my life and do with it as I wish. I know that I am not alone in that desire, and that it is a tougher life to lead than to follow the path of what has been done before and experienced already. I just can't find my life satisfying if my accomplishments mean the rich get richer.

I think too many people have fallen victim to settling. I include myself in that allegation. This world of mine is currently at a crossroads, yet there are not two paths, but many. Which one to take, I am still working on figuring out. This is a time in which the income gap is spreading to shameful levels, a time when it is becoming a sign of weakness to help those less fortunate, and one in which there seems to be almost no level of compassion towards one another. Every man for himself is becoming the norm, the expected. Whatever happened to the highest ideals of manhood? Whatever happened to working together to create a better society and a better planet? Whatever happened to leaving the world in better shape than when you arrived?

No comments:

Post a Comment